1.14.2010

Before & After: Before

Part of the purpose of this blog is to share my own projects, but before I can do that, I have to make a space to create them.
I hope you won't judge me too harshly when you see the before's. When I write about establishing new habits in 2010, our desk is one of the main pictures that comes to my mind. This week I could picture three solid scenarios where I Would Have Used the Desk if it were clean. Someday we dream of having a studio as part of our home. A room with cement floors and a deep sink nearby so B can paint; a big, long desk for working on paper cuts and sewing and other kinds of art or craft projects; a space for our children to make their own art along side of us; and a space for me to sit and write or edit movies or photos on a computer or laptop. Right now, our studio takes up a 14-foot wall in bedroom, and serves more as a dumping ground for mail and bills and random preschool accoutrements. I don't like to think about the message I am sending when I fill this beautiful white desk my husband built with clutter.
So no more. I want to sit here at the computer and write with Jane sitting beside me, drawing or practicing writing or playing Peep games. I want the desk to stay free and open and inviting, as a place to establish my own writing routine and start turning that dream into my life. Most of all I don't want to wake up to this mess anymore.

Stay tuned for the afters.

No comments:

Post a Comment