4.05.2010

Happy Belated Birthday, Flannery

I am finally catching up on things from the end of March. One of them: wishing Flannery O'Connor a happy birthday (if she were with us, of course.) She is one of my favorite writers. B brought her up last week, trying to remember "the famous short story writer from Ireland." I couldn't figure out who he was talking about and then he finally came up with the name. He was surprised to find out the writer he was thinking of is a woman from the south. I feel like that sums her up so well--she was full of surprises in her work as well, and never quite did what you would expect in her stories. I love these quotes from her:

"I come from a family where the only emotion respectable to show is irritation. In some this tendency produces hives, in others literature, in me both."

When she was six, she and a chicken that she taught to walk backward appeared on the news. She later said: "I was just there to assist the chicken but it was the high point in my life. Everything since has been anticlimax."

No comments:

Post a Comment